Monday, August 11, 2008

How to reach me and all that jazz

Yahsu! (That's hello in greek, or at least how it's pronounced.)

I leave for the hot and sunny country of Greece on Friday, after just getting back from the hot and sunny country of Mexico and the hot and sunny state of California, so this dreary weather in Seattle is actually a welcome change.

Getting there...

Here's my US Airways flight information for all those concerned relatives and friends:

Leave Seattle on Friday, August 15 at 6:30 am
Arrive in Philadelphia on August 15 at 2:41 pm

(chill for an hour or so)

Leave Philadelphia on August 15 at 4:30 pm
Arrives Athens, Greece on August 16 at 9:25 am

(navigate metro, call nail-biting parents, sleep, do graduate-level research, have a great time)

Leave Athens, Greece on September 21 at 11:30 am

(cry with happiness or grief, it depends)

Arrive Philadelphia on September 21 at 3:45 pm

(curl up in airport seats, eat American food, pine for Greek food)

Leave Philadelphia on September 21 at 5:55 pm
Arrive Seattle (home sweet home) on September 21 at 8:53 pm

(sleep, sleep, sleep, go back to work and school, show off tan)

Once there...

I will not have a cell phone when I first arrive. Please do not try to call me on my cell, because I will be getting a pre-paid phone for use in Greece. I will post the number when I get it.

I will have my computer and will have access to this blog and to e-mail.

I am staying at the Norwegian Guesthouse, located a block south of the Acropolis (ahh, yes). We can receive mail, it just takes a little longer...about 2-3 weeks.
The address is:

Norwegian Institute of Athens
Tsami Karatasou 5
Athens, Greece
GR-117 42

If there is an emergency...

The group will be well taken care of. Fires and earthquakes are a part of life in Greece, and last year students did have to be evacuated from the island of Euboea when fires broke out. We are all bringing cell phones and flashlights wherever we go, and if something happens I will call my family in Burlingame and my grandparents in San Dimas, but only after the group gets to safety. Please do not call the study abroad office at the University of Washington. Chances are they do not have the information necessary. Taso Lagos is the professor on the trip and he will be sure that all the relatives have the proper information. So, just sit tight and breathe. We are all big girls and boys and can handle ourselves.

So, adio, and next time I write I'll be in Greece!

No comments: